Care & Services : Hospitalist
Physicians focused on your care.
When you’re admitted to the hospital, you’ll receive the complete attention from a member of the Adena Hospitalist Group.
What is a hospitalist?
Hospitalists, who care for hospitalized patients until they are discharged and return to their Primary Care Physicians, have become the fastest growing medical specialists in history. In fact, it’s rare for a medical center or hospital not to use the services of hospitalists.
Having hospitalist available throughout the day and night allows for patients’ needs, questions and concerns to be answered faster. And when families arrive, hospitalists are available to speak to them and answer any questions they have.
What does your hospitalist do?
For patients who don't have a primary care physician, whose family physician is located out of town or does not have admitting privileges at Adena (which allows your primary care physician to continue to serve patients at his or her office), the hospitalist ensures consistent, quality care. Your hospitalist is here to:
- Maintain communication among nurses, care managers and the patient's primary care physician.
- Work closely with your primary physician to make sure your care is consistent and coordinated.
- Provide your family doctor with a comprehensive report on your diagnosis as well as any tests, plan of care, procedures, or medications that are ordered for you.
Along with the direct benefits to your health, your hospitalist is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Thanks to their efforts, your primary care physician is able to serve more patients and provide greater availability for follow-up care and regular visits.
More about Adena hospitalists
The Adena Health System has embraced this model of care for a number of reasons. Along with improving the quality of care provided to patients, the hospitalist model provides a new and improved level of efficiency.
At Adena, for example:
- Hospitalists are available 24/7 to care for patients – a level of care that PCPs cannot provide.
- Hospitalists and PCPs work as partners, communicating with each other about patients, to ensure those patients receive appropriate care in a timely manner.
- Patients are supportive of the hospitalist model, based on patient satisfaction surveys. In July 2011, Adena Hospitalists had an 81.3 percent patient satisfaction score. By the end of last year, the score had jumped into the 90th percentile and continues to climb.
Adena hospitalists strive to provide quality care to patients, recently, they have made changes in their schedules so they are able to spend considerably more time with patients and their families.
Meet our hospitalists Rajalakshmi Esakky, MD, Douglas Folzenlogen, MD, Basel Khoury, MD, Kingsley Lartey, DO, Reginald Lawson, MD, Zoran Naumovski, MD, Vinh-Truyen Nguyen, MD, Shunaid Pathan, MD, Chirag Patel, DO and Sung Yi, MD.